About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Wednesday's Recipe of the Week

Southern Pecan Pie


(No one sent a recipe for deviled eggs... I'll keep a look out in some of my church cookbooks I've toted from kitchen to kitchen the past I-don't-know-how-many-years... So I thought I'd share another Southern-Take-it-to-the-Funeral recipe.

The Southern pecan pie.

First, let's get something straight. There really is more than one way to say "pecan."

PEE-can.
pee-KHAN.

I go with the second. My mother went with the first.

Either way...pecan pie is...oh-my-gosh! When I was a little girl, it was my favorite dessert. I have the grandest memories of Mother shelling pecans just for my pie. Memories of walking around in my grandmother's yard, picking up pecans with my cousins. There was a way to hold two together, squeeze, and crack them.

I could not eat them raw, however. I was allergic and am still allergic to the raw pecan. Disappointing to say the least.

But in a pie... now we're talking. Check out this recipe:

3 eggs, separated                                                            
1 tsp. flour
1/2 stick butter (melted)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 cup corn syrup
1 1/2 cups pecans
2 shallow unbaked pie shells


Beat egg whites and yolks separately, then together. Add flour, sugar, syrup, and pecans. Place in a pie shell. Bake in a 300 degree oven for 35 minutes or until done.


Be sure not to overbake.

(Heavens no!)

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment