About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Wednesday's Recipe of the Week

After more than a year since her death, my brother and I went through Mother's recipe books. She had used Sexton "Daily Diaries," a common, thick book with wide lines I remember specifically from the 50s and 60s. I'm not sure of the date of the one I brought home because the cover is missing, as if January 1 and 2. But January 3 was a Saturday, so quite possibly from 1959.

Her first recording was for Spoon Bread, a staple in the South.

Enjoy; Betty was a "real good cook!"

Ingredients
1 cup corn meal
2 tbs. butter
1 pint water
4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup cold milk

Directions
Stir corn meal into salted boiling water. Stir 1 minute and remove from heat. Add eggs and beat in cold milk. Beat again and pour into hot buttered baking dish. Bake 25 minutes at 450.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I have to try this! I had never had spoon bread until I met Roger. I tried to make it once while living in NY (no idea where I got the recipe, probably online), with VERY limited success. This sounds much easier and better! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete