About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Wednesday's Recipe of the Week

From my friend Flea.
Yep, that's her name.
Okay, not really... but that's what we call Mrs. Felicia Christenson!


She writes:


This recipe comes from my absolute favorite cookbook, The Cotton Country Collection, from the Junior League of Monroe, Inc. It was a wedding gift from my Louisiana cousins back in '92. There hasn't been a bad recipe in it yet. I've made this one several times - killed my hips!

Chocolate Chiffon Pie
Mrs. T. M. Sayre
Rayville, Louisiana

1-9 inch baked pie shell
1 envelope gelatin
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon instant coffee
2 squares unsweetened chocolate
3 eggs, separated
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
Whipped cream

Soften gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water. In a saucepan, combine 1/2 cup water, coffee and chocolate. Stir over low heat until blended. Remove from heat; add gelatin and stir until dissolved. Beat egg yolks until thick and lemon colored; gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar; add salt and vanilla. Blend into chocolate mixture. Chill until partially set. Beat egg whites with remaining 1/2 cup sugar. Fold into chocolate filling. Pile in the baked pie crust and chill until firm. May be served with whipped cream on top.




If you want to know more about Flea and her world, go to: thegoodflea.com 
Questions about this recipe? Flea has all the answers! :) 

1 comment:

  1. LOL! I can tell you that I'm not as skinny as I appear in that photo, even though it's recent. :)

    ReplyDelete