About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Wednesday's Southern-style Recipe of the Week


More goodies from "Miss Betty's" Hand-written Recipe Book!


Apple Crisp


Ingredients


4 cups tart apples ( about 4 medium)
1/3 cup all purpose flour
2/3 cup milk
3 T sugar
1/4 t nutmeg
1/4 t salt
1 t cinnamon
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 t cinnamon

Directions


Grease a shallow, 6 qt. baking dish. In a small bowlmix flour, milk, nutmeg, salt, 3 T sugar and 1 t cinnamon. Using a fork, mix in the butter or margarine until crumbly. In a large bowl mix 1/2 cup sugar with 1/2 t cinnamon. Add 4 cups of pared, sliced, tart apples. Stir until apples are coated with sugar mixture. Pour coated apples into the greased baking dish. Sprinkle crumb mixture evenly on top of apples. Bake on center rack at 325 degrees for 45 minutes, or until apples are golden.

[Tell me what you think about this recipe. Or, share one of your own. Doing so will enter you in this week's "book off my bookshelf" contest!]

3 comments:

  1. This sounds great, Eva! And I just finished "No Place for a Lady" from your bookshelf and thoroughly enjoyed it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I fell in love with you just reading this wonderful site! Of course, I mean that in the most respectful sense.

    You see, my mother was from Georgia. She married my Dad who was a Floridian. Plus my great-grandfather was a Confederate soldier who served defending Georgia. So I have a definite connection with your sentiments about the South. How refreshing!

    You have captured the gentility and warmth of being and living in the South. If I wasn't already a Southerner, I would definitely want to be one after reading your comments.

    Anyway, you might be curious to know how I found you. I am registered to attend the Florida Christian Writers Conference in March and I noticed you listed among the attendees.

    It would be a privilege to meet you there.

    Blessings,

    George Austin

    ReplyDelete