About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Thursday's Talk About the Book

Let me tell you what is going on in my little world.

First, you have to know that my world is more than just the one spinning around me. My world also consists of people and places existing inside my  mind. Some folks would say "that makes her just a little crazy." Well, THAT is not what makes me a little crazy. Other things are responsible for that. 


So, right now, I'm in the homestretch for the second novel in the Cedar Key series. I am right at 80,000 of the 95,000 words I have to turn in come June 1.

That's right. June 1.

The difficult part is not the writing. I have already proven I can write 10,000 words in a 24 hour period. No. That's not what keeps me from reaching the goal in a day. It is what I'm writing about.

Life brings with it, baggage. We cannot reach our adulthoods without loads of it. Some of that which we carry is quite pretty. We have the suitcases plastered with stickers representing the towns, states, countries we have visited. Paris. Rome. Israel. Norway. South America. Africa. India.

Where ever.

There are the trunks--cedar lined--holding our best. That which we can slip over our heads or dip our arms into and look quite dashing or elegant. Then there is the old Samsonite. It's seen better days. The locks are broken. There are gash marks here and there. Some scuffs. Maybe even a spring that sprang one too many times.

Characters have all that, too. If writers created and wrote about only people who have the cedar-lined trunks, you'd never buy our work. After all, readers like to know that "somebody" out there has it at least a little worse than they and manage to survive it. Rise above it. Conquer it.

Problem is, even we writers carry our own baggage. Sometimes, when we write out of our character's pain, we are writing out of our own. That makes it all the more difficult. Imagine creating a problem for your character six months before you write it only to find yourself in a very similar situation, unexpectedly, when the time comes to type out that part of the plot. It's difficult. But, as a writer, I get through it.

As a human, I will get through it too...because, with Christ, all things are possible. (Amen?)

On a happier note... THE FIRST BOOK IS OUT!!!! 

Here are some places you can find out more:

Amazon
Christianbook
Barnes and Noble
Books-A-Million
Borders

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful stuff, Eva. God takes our mess and turns it into a message.

    Thanks for being transparent in your journey.

    ReplyDelete