About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Wednesday's Recipe of the Week

Another recipe from Miss Betty's* Daily Diary Cookbook


This was everyone's favorite! Mother could make divinity like nobody's business! I must warn you though: even though you now have her recipe, you will never make it as good as she did! :) I know this for a fact because everyone who got the recipe always came back and said, "I made it just like you said, but mine just isn't as good as yours!"


So, here it is...especially wonderful at Christmas!


Divinity Candy
(typically just called: Divinity)


Ingredients


2 1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup Karo syrup
1 cup nut meats (pecans)
2 egg whites
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup water


Directions


Bring water to a boil. Add sugar and Karo syrup and boil until stringy. Beat egg whites until stiff and gradually add sugar/syrup mixture while continuing to stir quickly. Add nut meats and vanilla. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper. This recipe is best done in the winter when the weather is not hot and humid.




(Miss Betty was my mother. These are the recipes I found in her penmanship, written in a Sexton's Daily Diary from c. 1955.)



No comments:

Post a Comment