About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Monday Musings on All Things Southern

What is it about the South that demands a love for barbecue? People around here will drive for miles on end to find the best. And, once they do, there's no going back.
Heaven forbid you go to your favorite barbecue place and get a bad plate of something. There's no going back then, either.

A couple of years ago, our daughter was devastated to learn she'd not made a 100 on her spelling test, the misspelled word being "barbecue." Turns out, not a single kid in the class got it right. Some spelled it BBQ. Others, barbque. Still others, Bar-B-Q. I'll be honest; I didn't know the correct spelling either.

Do you have a recipe for barbecue sauce or barbecue anything you want to share? How about a favorite barbecue memory (here's mine: when I was a child, we had a small family reunion at my Uncle Bobby's. While the kids played football in the yard, the men barbecued chicken and the women made the fixins in the kitchen. To this day, I say that was the best barbecue chicken I've ever eaten. Was it the chicken? The sauce? The company of loved family members? Or maybe all of the above? Don't know, but the truth remains. It was the best.)

Remember: leave you comments and a way to contact you to register for this week's drawing. This week's drawing winner is: Bea Hall. Last week's winner did not respond so ... congrats to Cheryl Hopkins!)

2 comments:

  1. Hey cuz!!! I remember those days spending time with you and trying to get you to play football too. We had so much fun. It was the barbecue chicken and the sauce and the loved family members. I surely miss those days, but they will always be cherished memories spent with my favorite cousin!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you Cuz! Yep! You were there. I got to WATCH y'all play football. Bob and Brant were too rough and tumbly for me! I think I was the cheerleader! Ra! Ra! Ra!

    ReplyDelete