About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Wednesday's Southern Recipe of the Week

Clam Puffs


I grew up near the water, where the Atlantic meets the marshes of the land we call Georgia. My grandparents taught me how to fish when I was six-years-old. My mother said things like, "Oh, how I love going to the coast." I can still see her standing at the edge of the world, arms folded around herself, looking out over the water.

Summers were spent at the beach with my family when I was a child. With my friends when I was a teen. We'd pile into the back of a pickup and head to Tybee Island, CCR blaring from the cab. We'd body surf until we were exhausted and happy, then bake for hours with baby oil slathered all over our young bodies. I have the scars from cancer removal to prove it.

I knew how to "go" shrimping and crabbing and clam digging before I knew how to drive a car. One of my finest memories came from those high school days when a pile of us went to St. Simon's Island. We spent the day shrimping. We finished the day around a campfire and a vat of boiling shrimp. (We call this a shrimp boil.) I can still see the mound of shrimp shells tossed to one side. Hear the strum of someone's 12-string. The mellow voices singing "We Are One in the Spirit."

There's nothing like good seafood. Here's a recipe from an old Southern recipe book perfect for any cook, whether you can get to the coast to clam or not. Enjoy!

1 (3 oz) pkg. cream cheese
2 Tbs heavy cream
1 (7 oz) can minced clams, drained
pinch dry mustard
1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp grated onion
paprika

Mix all ingredients except paprika. Spread on toasted bread round or saltines and pat in broiler for a few minutes until puffy. Sprinkle with paprika and serve piping hot. This mixture can be made up a day or two ahead of time, and spread and popped under the broiler at the last minute. Makes about 20 puffs.


Got any beach memories from your childhood you'd like to share? Do it here and register to win!

1 comment:

  1. I came across your website from Pinterest. Was very interested when I came across your books. My husband was born in Levy County, and moved to Jacksonville when he was 2 and spent alot of time hunting and fishing around the Cedar Key area. We were married at the Island Hotel in Cedar Key. Looking forward to reading your books.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete