About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Thursday, August 23, 2012

Wednesday's Recipe of the Week (One Day Late)

You don't hear a lot about "icebox cake" any more. Occasionally, while watching an old TV sitcom or drama, a housewife comes out of her kitchen carrying a sheet pan and says, "I think I'll take some of my icebox cake over to so-and-so." But that's about it.

Yesterday, while flipping through an old recipe book from my shelves, I found an index card with my mother's handwriting on it. Icebox Cake  is written in her perfect script across the top.

Mouthwatering memories came my way. I haven't had Mother's icebox cake in forever, it seems. (And, as soon as I'm off this diet, I think I'll make some.)

But maybe you or yours is not on a diet. If not, try this before summer comes to an end, because it's the perfect summer dessert!

Ingredients & Directions

4 egg yolks (save your cardiologist's number in your phone)
              Put the egg whites aside for later
1/2 lb butter (Mother wrote "oleo")
1 1/2 cup sugar

Mix together at medium speed 20 minutes
(Yes, I wrote minutes.)

Add 1 #2 can slightly drained crushed pineapple (I believe that is 20 oz can)
Add 1 cup chopped nuts

Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites (Did I mention, you should stiffly beat the egg whites?)

Fix a layer of vanilla wafers in pan. Pour mixture in. Refrigerate 24 hours before serving (good luck waiting)

2 comments:

  1. So, it's got 4 eggs in it, and there's no cooking involved? My, we were brave in those days! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh...Sounds so good. I will be making this soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete