About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Monday, July 23, 2012

Monday's Musing on All Things Southern

Another round of "Who Am I?"

Enter to win a free book from my bookshelf. And believe me, I've got tons.


Who Am I?

I was born in Tylertown, Mississippi, but when I was four years old our family moved to "Nawlins."
The Problem We All Live With by Norman Rockwell
In 1960, when I was only six years old, my parents made a bold move that would forever ingrain me and my name in the history books as the first colored child to attend an integrated school.


Before "heading off to school one day," I had to take a test. Out of all those who did, only six were chosen, and out of those six, the honor fell upon my young shoulders. With the deed done, my parents became a little concerned--which would only be natural--but my mother felt it was the right thing to do. Not only for me and my education, but for the advancement of education to all African-American children.

Naturally a crowd of people were in front of the school that first day to protest, but, as Former US Deputy Marshal Charles Burks later stated, I "showed a lot of courage. She never cried. Didn't whimper. She just marched along like a little soldier, and we're all very proud of her."

Today I am a wife and mother. I have owned my own business, have been the subject of song and painting, and have received awards for this one great moment in our country's history.

Who am I?



3 comments:

  1. Ruby Bridges. Amazing to think this happened in our lifetime. I can't imagine putting a 6 year old baby through what she endured. She is quite a woman now, a blessing to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ruby Nell Bridges Hall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ruby Bridges . . .and she still lives in "Nawlins". I didn't realize that she speaks to students about her experiences.

    Sheri
    hspruitt {at} frontiernet[doT]net

    ReplyDelete