About Me

My photo
Florida, United States
Southern born, Southern reared. It's a quirky place and we are unique folk... These are my people and these are my stories.

Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Wednesday's Southern-style Recipe of the Week

I cannot remember a social event my mother put on in our living room that didn't include cheese straws. They were the best part of the event.

Well ... that and getting dressed up in my Mary Janes and gloves.

Cheese Straws


Ingredients


1 lb. sharp cheese, grated
1/4 lb. butter
1 egg
1 Tbs. cold water
1 3/4 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 Tbs. cayenne
1/2 Tbs. paprika

Directions


Cream butter and cheese until soft. Add egg and water; beat well. Sift flour, salt, cayenne, paprika together. Add in 3 additions, beat well after each addition. Chill dough 10 minutes. Pack in cookie gun and make long strips lengthwise on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 18 to 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Cut into 3-inch strips. Yields 8 dozen 3-inch straws.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I LOVE these, but have never made them! I never even heard of them until I moved here to VA. Not exactly part of my diet, but SO yummy! :)

    ReplyDelete